Thursday, January 14, 2010

la vie à paris: première semaine à paris

I can't believe that it's only been a few days since my last post-- I've already done so much in under a week! Still trying to figure out uploading pictures with my terrible wifi connection, so a text-only post will have to do for now again.

So this week was orientation week at Boston University Paris--which is about two blocks from the Eiffel Tower (!!!) . Lots of information about classes, our upcoming internship (I've yet to receive my assignment) and adapting to French living. It's actually been quite the adjustment to have to change my social habits (as in, not speaking so loudly on the Metro and dealing with waiters that just stand there until you place an order) as well as have to speak French at any given moment. Not to mention how physically draining it is to constantly be listening to and processing the language.

{bonsoir tour eiffel!}

{the ladies at sir winston's}

Nevertheless, I have made my way around a good part of the city so far and am starting to figure out what and where everything is. On Tuesday, I started to explore along the northern bank of the Seine, catching a breathtaking view of the Tour Eiffel, trekking the 16th arrondissement and checking out a exhibit at the Palais de Tokyo that was way over my head. At night, we girls headed for drinks near the Arc de Triomphe and ended up at a chic restaurant/lounge called Sir Winston where we ordered wine and mouthwatering desserts.

Yesterday (Wednesday), the staff at BU Paris organized a "Dégustation de la Gastronomie Française," which was a food and wine tasting from different regions of France. So for two hours, the 60 of us in the program ate our weight in cheese, bread, desserts, meats (not me!) and regional alcohol specialties. We then took a bus tour of the city and saw many of the beautiful and historic sights of Paris. It helped give us a better idea of where everything is situated and what we should go back to.

{hanging out by the old opera house}

My friends and I decided to return the area surrounded the Opera House and the Place Vendôme where we checked out the inside of the opera house and the windows of expensive jewelry. We also did some browsing in the upscale stores in the area, including Miu Miu (I WISH!) and Manoush. My favorite store by far was Colette--a boutique/mini department store (think Jeffrey in NYC) that only sold the funkiest, kitschiest designer goodies. While I ogled over the Marc Jacobs resort collection (which was displayed on mannequins throughout the second floor), Alexander Wang creeper boots (on sale, but still out of my budget), and dainty neon string bracelets with various diamond charms, I settled on a tube of cartoon illustrated Lanvin pencils and a box of French macaroons- special addition Ladurée for Colette. YUMMM! (Yes, the pencils too!) I ended my night my taking my first trip to the infamous Louvre with my friend Gaba to meet Mona. Lisa that is.

{dance party in the bathroom of creposuk!}

Today was our last day of orientation, which was a lot shorter than expected. My friends and I headed to the Quartier Latin (a young neighborhood of students and international cuisine) for some lunch at a corner eatery. After part two of today's orientation, we picked up some pan au chocolat, notebooks for class tomorrow and returned to the Quartier Latin where our whole program of kids went to see an adorable French movie based on a famous children's book called Le Petit Nicolas. So utterly charming!! The little boys in the movie were so cute in their school uniforms with their scrawny legs and bright eyes! After the movie, 30 of us went to dinner at a creperie called Creposuk, where we sipped on mulled red wine (to die for!) and ate both savory and sweet crepes. The best thing about this creperie (besides the mulled wine, that is) was the flashing colored lights and cheesy oldies music blasting in the bathroom!! Yes-- the BATHROOM! Best party I've been to yet- ha! I then took a stroll over to the Marais section with Gaba and two girls from UC Berkeley, Grace and Elisabeth. We passed the Seine, Notre Dame and an ice skating rink where a group of guys were playing what appeared to be tag-on-ice. So let me just say, the Marais is my shiz. Not only is it known as the Jewish Quarter, but it also has the COOLEST bars, restaurants and stores. We stopped in a cafe called Cafe Baroc for a drink, but I can't wait to go back this weekend! I am especially itching to go to this bar called Curieux Spaghetti Bar, which has neon lights, a zipper pull for a door handle, chandeliers, and I hear that they serve spaghetti with your drinks. YES PLEASE!

It's getting late here in French land and I have my first day of class in the morning. I think this has been a pretty thorough update. Look out for another update after the weekend. (Sneak peak: I will have gone to Versailles and returned to the Marais.) THIS is the freakin' good life, people!

Paix, Amour et Néon,
Marisa

No comments:

Post a Comment