Saturday, January 4, 2014

trendspotting: the ear party

When I saw that the Man Repeller's Leandra Medine put a hoop in her cartilage last year, I immediately thought: this is bound to become a thing. Flash forward to five weeks ago when jewelry designer Pamela Love posted the following photo on Instagram:


Turns out, my premonition served me right. Forget arm parties and neck parties, EAR PARTIES ARE THE FUTURE. This new piercing assortment is less 90s grunge and more of a jewelry-lover's hodge-podge of cute little studs and hoops.

While it's too bad I chickened out in the piercing chair this summer, the perfect accessory has exploded just in time to accommodate my lust for a decked out ear: the ear cuff! And so, here is how I've been decorating myself as of late:

[studs by house of blombos, ear cuff deconstructed from this f21 earring]

No additional piercings necessary!

For those of you with more guts than me, stick to delicate and severely cool earrings. No barbells, no gauges, no rhinestone Hello Kitty studs from Hot Topic. You got it? The goal is to keep the party minimal and feminine. Do incorporate a dainty chain earring like these in rose gold or a barely-there bar earring. Also, this adorable ear cuff is bound to be an ear party staple.


 




[photos from pinterest and fashion's piercing guru, j colby smith]

I don't think I'll be making a trip back to the piercing parlor anytime soon, but Gaia Repossi, feel free to send one of these drool-worthy ear cuffs my way.

Ear party on, Wayne!

Peace, Love and Neon,
Marisa

UPDATE:

Just came across these excellent bits of piercing advice by J Colby Smith featured on Matches Fashion. He recommends investing in beautiful, fine metal earrings and mixing metals carefully (he prefers sticking to one color). If you're interested in having this master pierce you up and help you select your perfect ear party, you can find him at New York Adorned in the East Village. Check out more examples of his work here.


No comments:

Post a Comment